Welcome to Official Web Site of BEP Vaishali
Bihar Education Project (BEP) is an organization dedicated to achieving Universal Elementary Education (UEE) in the State of Bihar, India. Launched in 1991 with the purpose of bringing about quantitative and qualitative improvement in the Elementary Education system in Bihar. Primary education has been focus area during the implementation of BEP & DPEP-III programmes till 2001-02 and was subsequently extended to Elementary level with the launching of programmes like Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) and National Programme for Education of Girls at Elementary Level (NPEGEL). Being the State Implementing Society (SIS) of these prestigious programmes, the project emphasizes on the education of deprived sections of society, such as Scheduled Castes (SCs), Scheduled Tribes (STs), Minorities, Girls of Bihar.
The goals of the BEP quintessentially is "to bring about a driving force in the State of Bihar through educational reconstruction as a change in the educational situation will then bring improvement in all spheres, and the atmosphere of despair, cynicism, and violence will give way to a firm determination to deal with the environment, social, cultural and gender issues".
Within the above framework, our specific objectives are:
- Universalization of Elementary Education, as a composite programme of Universal Access,
- Universal Enrolment, Universal Retention and Universal achievement.
- Drastic reduction in illiteracy.
- Modification in the educational system to serve the objects of equality for women & their empowerment.
- Inculcating Equity & Social Justice in educational endeavors.
- Relating education to the working & living conditions of the people.
- Laying special emphasis on all educational activities on science and environment.
Our experience has further reinforced our "belief" in the "framework" and "specific objectives" of BEP. We now more firmly hold that in order to achieve "tangible" results under any programme of UEE, it will have to be formulated and implemented within the "contours" of the stated "framework" and "specific objectives" of BEP.
It is, thus, obvious that the goal 'social reconstruction through education' for which BEP strived all these years, lay in a distant future where immediate tangible achievements were small milestones. The strength of BEPC remained in the processes through which the goals were attempted to be achieved rather than the quantitative target realization alone.